Joao,

On May 13, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Stephen Street <s...@redrocketcomputing.com> wrote:

> From the logs, it appears that the monitors are struggling to bind to the
> network at system start. If I issue a initctl restart ceph-mon-all to all
> nodes running monitors, the system starts functioning correctly.

I found the issue.  My nodes have two ethernet interfaces (eth0 and eth1) and
both are configured to use static DHCP leases. My cluster is configured to use
address on eth0 (192.168.139.0/24).  The upstart job /etc/init/ceph-all.conf
contains the following line:

        start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)

It appears that eth1 emits a net-device-up before eth0 causing the ceph-all
upstart job to begin running before the desired network is available, leading
to the address binding error seen in the log.  I changed the upstart job line
to:

        start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0)

and the cluster cold starts successfully.

Thanks for your help
Stephen