ceph-deploy adds the OSDs to the cluster map. You can add the OSDs to
the ceph.conf manually.

In the ceph.conf file, the settings don't require underscores. If you
modify your configuration at runtime, you need to add the underscores
on the command line.

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/#runtime-changes

Underscores and dashes work with the config settings.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Scottix <scot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I am new to ceph but loving every moment of it. I am learning all of this
> now, so maybe this will help with documentation.
>
> Anyway, I have a few question about ceph-deploy. I was able to setup a
> cluster and be able to get it up and running no problem with ubuntu 12.04.2
> that isn't the problem. The ceph.conf file is a little bit of a mystery for
> me on ceph-deploy. For example when I create a mon or osd on a machine the
> ceph.conf file doesn't change at all. Then if I reboot an osd, I have to
> re-activate it every time. Am I suppose to edit the
> config file for each osd? If I don't edit the file how do I keep track of
> each machine? or set special parameters for some machines? or does it
> matter?
>
> One last thing is why does it put underscores '_' for spaces when it does
> deploy the ceph.conf? Seems odd since the documentation doesn't show
> underscores, but I guess it doesn't matter since it works.
>
> Thanks for clarification,
> Scottix
>
> --
> Follow Me: @Scottix