Hi John,

On 10/28/2013 08:55 PM, John Wilkins wrote:
> John,
>
> I've never installed anything on Scientific Linux.

SL6 is binary compatible with other EL6 varieties.  This host uses the
same repos as CentOS for Dave Scott's xenserver-core technology preview:
 EPEL6, Dave's XenServer + Ceph technology preview, Dave's
xenserver-core snapshot repo, and the ceph.com Dumpling repo.

> Are you sure that QEMU has RBD support?
>
> I have some wip-doc text, which I'm going to move around shortly. You
> can see the yum install requirements here:
>
> http://ceph.com/docs/wip-doc-install/install/yum-priorities/
> http://ceph.com/docs/wip-doc-install/install/install-qemu/#rpm-packages

The SL6 qemu-img package does not have RBD support, but I did find those
repos yesterday, and installed the RBD-capable qemu-img package from there.

There are no other obvious qemu-related packages (as in 'rpm -qa | grep
qemu') originating from SL6, and just one from Dave's repo,
'libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu'.

> Make sure you can run QEMU commands on RBD first, since that's a dependency.
>
> http://ceph.com/docs/wip-doc-install/rbd/qemu-rbd/

Since installing the ceph.com package, the 'qemu-img -f rbd' commands
work.  Before, the SL6 version 'qemu-img -f rbd' commands complained
about rbd being an unknown format.

However, xapi was able to launch VMs both before and after the qemu-img
package update, with no effect on the intermittent hangs.

The 'xe vm-start' hanging problem is not shared by the 'xe vdi-*'
commands (or the updated 'qemu-img -f rbd *' commands), which have no
trouble manipulating rbd-backed vdis at all.

Anything I might've missed in there?  Thanks for the tips!

        John