Hi James,

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:23:14 +0000
> From: ja...@peacon.co.uk
> To: Gregory Farnum <g...@inktank.com>
> Cc: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
> Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Seagate Kinetic
<SNIP>
> - Commercial grid-style SAN is maybe ?1.70 per usable GB

I wouldn't know, but for that money I'd be expecting very high-performance
and all the service trimmings.

> - Ceph cluster of about 1PB built on Dell hardware is maybe ?1.25 per
> usable GB

That sounds a bit steep. I'm working on Dell Ceph configs at the moment,
whilst I know we're getting decent discounts they aren't out of the
ordinary for medium-large volumes - we're not even buying a PB up-front.

For a straight disk setup (4TB NL-SAS) on an Intel Ivy platform including
PERC 710p we're looking at about ~AU0.30c per usable GB.

For a 1:2 (200GB DCS3700 SSD : 4TB NL-SAS) setup it's under ~AU0.60c.

And erasure coding is coming (so usable capacity goes up)!

--
Cheers,
~Blairo