Now OpenStack H needs a new RBD installation guide. But there exists some
confusing problem may disturb newers:

1. OpenStack H can make use of RBD as the backend of
Nova(/var/lib/nova/instances)
2. A critical patch is missing(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/46879/)
which is used to integrate Glance and Nova.
3. If you did all above(make use of rbd as nova backend and backport
patch), live-migration still needs a compatible patch
to work. And after JoshDurgin restore point 2 commit and merged, I will
commit this compatible patch.

So we still have more things to do with OpenStack & Ceph. If you are a new
user, consider just use Ceph as backend of
Glance and Cinder.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Dinu Vlad <dinuvla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know of any guide besides the official install docs from
> grizzly/havana, but I'm running openstack grizzly on top of rbd storage
> using glance & cinder and it makes (almost) no use of
> /var/lib/nova/instances. Live migrations also work. The only files there
> should be "config.xml" and "console" - otherwise, live-migrations won't
> work OR the path should be a mounted shared storage (NFS, GlusterFS etc).
>
> Nova-compute stores "disk*" files under that path in the following cases:
> - when one starts an instance only by using "--image <image id>" argument
> to nova-boot, without a pre-created cinder volume and without the
> "--block-device-mapping" argument
> - when one uses a "config disk" for bootstrapping instances
> - when one configures a "swap" disk in the flavor used to start the
> instance
>

> On Nov 2, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Gaylord Holder <ghol...@cs.drexel.edu> wrote:
>

> http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2013/06/03/ceph-integration-in-openstack-grizzly-update-and-roadmap-for-havana/
> >
> > suggests it is possible to run openstack instances (not only images) off
> of RBDs in grizzly and havana (which I'm running), and to use RBDs in lieu
> of a shared file system.
> >
> > I've followed
> >
> > http://ceph.com/docs/next/rbd/libvirt/
> >
> > but I can only get boot-from-volume to work.  Instances still are being
> housed in /var/lib/nova/instances, making live-migration a non-starter.
> >
> > Is there a better guide for running openstack instances out of RBDs, or
> is it just not ready yet?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Gaylord

Best Regards,