> On 2 dec. 2013, at 18:26, "Brian Andrus" <brian.and...@inktank.com> wrote:

>  Setting your pg_num and pgp_num to say... 1024 would A) increase data
> granularity, B) likely lend no noticeable increase to resource consumption,
> and C) allow some room for future OSDs two be added while still within range
> of acceptable pg numbers. You could probably safely double even that number
> if you plan on expanding at a rapid rate and want to avoid splitting PGs
> every time a node is added.
>
> In general, you can conservatively err on the larger side when it comes to
> pg/p_num. Any excess resource utilization will be negligible (up to a certain
> point). If you have a comfortable amount of available RAM, you could
> experiment with increasing the multiplier in the equation you are using and
> see how it affects your final number.
>
> The pg_num and pgp_num parameters can safely be changed before or after your
> new nodes are integrated.

I would be a bit conservative with the PGs / PGPs.
I've experimented with the PG number a bit and noticed the following random IO
performance drop.
( this could be something to our specific setup but since the PG is easily
increased and impossible to decrease I would be conservative)

 The setup:
3 OSD nodes with 128GB ram, 2 * 6 core CPU (12 with ht).
Nodes have 10 OSDs running on 1 tb disks and 2 SSDs for Journals.

We use a replica count of 3 so optimum according to formula is about 1000
With 1000 PGs I got about 2000-2500 random 4k IOPS.

Because the nodes are fast enough and I expect the cluster to be expanded with
3 more nodes I set the PGs to 2000.
Performance dropped to about 1200-1400 IOPS.

I noticed that the spinning disks where no longer maxing out on 100% usage.
Memory and CPU did not seem to be a problem.
Since had the option to recreate the pool and I was not using the recommended
settings I did not really dive into the issue.
I will not stray to far from the recommended settings in the future though :)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen