Hello,
Most recently when looking at PG’s folder splitting, I found that there was
only one sub folder in the top 3 / 4 levels and start having 16 sub folders
starting from level 6, what is the design consideration behind this?

For example, if the PG root folder is ‘3.1905_head’, in the first level, it
only has one sub folder ‘DIR_5’ and then one sub folder ‘DIR_0’, and then
‘DIR_9’, under which there are two sub folders ‘DIR_1’ and ‘DIR_9’, starting
from which, the next level has 16 sub folders.

If we start splitting into 16 sub folders in the very first level, we may
potential gain better performance with less dentry lookup (though most likely
the root level been cached).

Thanks,
Guang