You should take a look at this blog post:

http://ceph.com/community/ceph-performance-part-2-write-throughput-without-ssd-journals/

The test results shows that using a RAID card with a write-back cache
without journal disks can perform better or equivalent to using journal
disks with XFS.

*As to whether or not it's better to buy expensive controllers and use all
of your drive bays for spinning disks or cheap controllers and use some
portion of your bays for SSDs/Journals, there are trade-offs.  If built
right, systems with SSD journals provide higher large block write
throughput, while putting journals on the data disks provides higher
storage density.  Without any tuning both solutions currently provide
similar IOP throughput*.

Jake