Hi,

If I have an 1GB RBD image and format it with say xfs of ext4, then I
basically have thin provisioned disk.  It takes up only as much space
from the Ceph pool as is needed to hold the data structure of the empty
file system.

If I add files to my file systems and then remove them, how does Ceph
deal with these "freed" blocks?

At the file system level the pointers to the blocks get removed from the
dir tree and the blocks get added to the free list for potential use by
other files.

I'm assuming Ceph/RBD doesn't have any direct awareness of this since
the file system doesn't traditionally have a "give back blocks"
operation to the block device.  Is there anything special RBD does in
this case that communicates the release of the Ceph storage back to the
pool?

Sorry for any gross oversimplifications.

~jpr