On Apr 24, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Chad Seys <cws...@physics.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Hi David,
>  Thanks for the reply.
>  I'm a little confused by OSD versus PGs in the description of the two
> options osd_recovery_max_single_start and osd_recovery_max_active .

An OSD manages all the PGs in its object store (a subset of all PGs in the
cluster).  An OSD only needs to manage recovery of the PGs for which it is
primary and need recovery.

> The ceph webpage describes osd_recovery_max_active as "The number of active
> recovery requests per OSD at one time." It does not mention PGs. ?
>
> Assuming you meant OSD instead of PG, is this a rephrase of your message:
>
> "osd_recovery_max_active (default 15)" recovery operations will run total and
> will be started in groups of "osd_recovery_max_single_start (default 5)”

Yes, but PGs are the way the newly started recovery ops group.

The osd_recovery_max_active is the number of recovery operations which can be
active at any given time for an OSD for all the PGs it is simultaneously
recovering.

The osd_recovery_max_single_start is the maximum number of recovery operations
that will be newly started per PG that the OSD is recovering.

> So if I set osd_recovery_max_active = 1 then osd_recovery_max_single_start
> will effectively = 1 ?

Yes, if osd_recovery_max_active <= osd_recovery_max_single_start then with no
ops are currently active we could only start the osd_recovery_max_active new
ops anyway.

> Thanks!
> Chad.
>
> On Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:43:47 you wrote:
>> The value of osd_recovery_max_single_start (default 5) is used in
>> conjunction with osd_recovery_max_active (default 15).   This means that a
>> given PG will start up to 5 recovery operations at time of a total of 15
>> operations active at a time.  This allows recovery to spread operations
>> across more or less PGs at any given time.
>>
>> David Zafman
>> Senior Developer
>> http://www.inktank.com
>>
>> On Apr 24, 2014, at 8:09 AM, Chad Seys <cws...@physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>  What does osd_recovery_max_single_start do?  I could not find a
>>>  description
>>>
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Chad.