On 05/23/2014 04:09 PM, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
Hi,
I think you’re rather brave (sorry, foolish) to store the mon data dir in
ramfs. One power outage and your cluster is dead. Even with good backups of the
data dir I wouldn't want to go through that exercise.

Agreed. Foolish. I'd never do that.

Saying that, we had a similar disk-io-bound problem with the mon data dirs, and
solved it by moving the mons to SSDs. Maybe in your case using the cfq io
scheduler would help, since at least then the OSD and MON processes would get
fair shares of the disk IOs.

Anyway, to backup the data dirs, you need to stop the mon daemon to get a
consistent leveldb before copying the data to a safe place.

I wrote a blog about this: http://blog.widodh.nl/2014/03/safely-backing-up-your-ceph-monitors/

Wido

Cheers, Dan

-- Dan van der Ster || Data & Storage Services || CERN IT Department --