Hi All,

For those of you that are interested in performance data, Brendan Gregg wrote a really useful cheat sheet for perf that can give you some idea of the things it can do beyond just profiling and performance counters. The static and dynamic tracing capabilities are especially interesting.

We've used perf in-house for a while, but mostly just to create simple profiling reports . Until recently, Ubuntu hasn't had dwarf support compiled into perf in the default kernels, and RHEL was on a kernel that was too old. For whatever reason it's been a constant battle getting good symbol resolution in Ceph with just frame pointers and our debug packages (in some cases purging and manually rebuilding the buildid cache helped). Hopefully now between RHEL7 and Trusty we should be in a good place to start making really good use of perf+dwarf though.

Here's Brendan's cheat sheet:

http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html

Mark