Hi,

Consider a ceph cluster with one IO intensive pool (e.g. VM storage) plus a few
not-so IO intensive.
I'm thinking of whether it makes sense to use the available SSDs in the cluster
nodes (1 SSD for 4 HDDs) as part of a writeback cache pool in front of the IO
intensive pool, instead of using them as journal SSDs? With this method, the
OSD journals would be co-located on the HDDs or the SSD:HDD ratio could be
reduced from 1:4 to something like 1:10.
The write operations would still hit SSDs first (though latency would increase
compared to writing to dedicated SSD partitions local to the server), and as
far as I understand the cache flush operations are happening in a coalesced
fashion.
Plus a definite advantage would be that besides functioning as a 'write log'
(aka. journal), the SSDs would be serving as a read cache for hot data.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Benjamin