On 08/15/2014 12:23 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
Hi Erik,

On 15/08/2014 11:54, Erik Logtenberg wrote:
Hi,

With EC pools in Ceph you are free to choose any K and M parameters you
like. The documentation explains what K and M do, so far so good.

Now, there are certain combinations of K and M that appear to have more
or less the same result. Do any of these combinations have pro's and
con's that I should consider and/or are there best practices for
choosing the right K/M-parameters?

Loic might have a better anwser, but I think that the more segments (K) you have, the heavier recovery. You have to contact more OSDs to reconstruct the whole object so that involves more disks doing seeks.

I heard sombody from Fujitsu say that he thought 8/3 was best for most situations. That wasn't with Ceph though, but with a different system which implemented Erasure Coding.

For instance, if I choose K = 3 and M = 2, then pg's in this pool will
use 5 OSD's and sustain the loss of 2 OSD's. There is 40% overhead in
this configuration.

Now, if I were to choose K = 6 and M = 4, I would end up with pg's that
use 10 OSD's and sustain the loss of 4 OSD's, which is statistically not
so much different from the first configuration. Also there is the same
40% overhead.

Although I don't have numbers in mind, I think the odds of loosing two OSD simultaneously
are a lot smaller than the odds of loosing four OSD simultaneously. Or am I
misunderstanding you when you write "statistically not so much different from the
first configuration" ?

Loosing two smaller then loosing four? Is that correct or did you mean it the other way around?

I'd say that loosing four OSDs simultaneously is less likely to happen then two simultaneously.

Cheers

One rather obvious difference between the two configurations is that the
latter requires a cluster with at least 10 OSD's to make sense. But
let's say we have such a cluster, which of the two configurations would
be recommended, and why?

Thanks,

Erik.

Wido den Hollander