Dear all,

I have a ceph cluster running in 3 nodes, 240 TB space with 60% usage, used by rbd and radosgw clients. Recently I upgraded from emperor to firefly, and I got the message about legacy tunables described in http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/#tunables. After some data rearrangement to minimize risks, I tried to apply the optimal settings. This resulted in 28% of object degradation, much more than I expected, and worse, I lost communication for the rbd clients, running in kernels 3.10 or 3.11.

Searching for a solution, I got to this proposed solution: https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@lists.ceph.com/msg11199.html. Applying it (before the data was all moved), I got additional 2% of object degradation, but the rbd clients came back into working. But then I got a large number of degraded or staled PGs, that are not backfilling. Looking for the definition of chooseleaf_vary_r, I reached the definition in http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/: "chooseleaf_vary_r: Whether a recursive chooseleaf attempt will start with a non-zero value of r, based on how many attempts the parent has already made. Legacy default is 0, but with this value CRUSH is sometimes unable to find a mapping. The optimal value (in terms of computational cost and correctness) is 1. However, for legacy clusters that have lots of existing data, changing from 0 to 1 will cause a lot of data to move; a value of 4 or 5 will allow CRUSH to find a valid mapping but will make less data move."

Is there any suggestion to handle it? Have I to set chooseleaf_vary_r to some other value? Will I lose communication with my rbd clients? Or should I return to legacy tunables?

Regards,

Gerd Jakobovitsch