I've been doing some testing of importing virtual machine images, and I've found that 'rbd import' is at least 2x as slow as 'qemu-img convert'. Is there anything I can do to speed this process up? I'd like to use rbd import because it gives me a little additional flexibility.

My test setup was a 40960MB LVM volume, and I used the following two commands:

rbd import /dev/lvmtest/testvol test
qemu-img convert /dev/lvmtest/testvol rbd:test/test

rbd import took 13 minutes, qemu-img took 5.

I'm at a loss to explain this, I would have expected rbd import to be faster.

This is with ceph version 0.80.5 (38b73c67d375a2552d8ed67843c8a65c2c0feba6)