On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Massimiliano Cuttini <m...@phoenixweb.it>
wrote:

> Il 08/10/2014 14:39, Nathan Stratton ha scritto:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Massimiliano Cuttini <m...@phoenixweb.it>
> wrote:
>
>>  If you want to build up with Viatta.
>> And this give you the possibility to have a fully feature OS.
>> What kind of hardware would you use to build up a switch?
>>

>  Hard to beat the Quanta T3048-LY2, 48 10 gig, 4 40 gig. Same chip as
> Cisco, Dell, HP, etc. Like I said, merchant silicon and white box switches
> are the wave of the future. You can use Quanta OS or what I recommend is
> get one with the ONIE bootloader, then you can put Cumulus software on it
> for more features of if you much more daring flash it with BigSwitch and go
> OpenFlow.
>
>    BigSwitch is better than Viatta or just something different?

Different, BigSwitch is a SDN controller.

> I'm building a OpenStack+Ceph solutions, than BigSwitch seems to fit more.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to add SDN/NFV then yes it
makes sense.

> About the Quanta that you suggest... whell WOW!

:) Yep, amazing what you can get for under 5k.

> I see also the top solution: T5032-LY6 and even this one is affordable
> (just $7200).

That switch is 40 gig, normally used spine/leaf connecting the 10 gig
switches together, unless that is you want to do 40 gig to the server. :)

> About Infiniband, what kind of "white" switch would you suggest?

I am not aware of any white box infiniband vendors, it is a very different
space then ethernet.

-Nathan