I have no experience with the DELL SAS controller, but usually the
advantage of using a simple controller (instead of a RAID card) is that
you can use full SMART directly.

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     INTEL SSDSA2BW300G3H
Serial Number:    PEPR2381003E300EGN

Personally, I make sure that I know which serial number drive is in
which bay, so I can easily tell which drive I'm talking about.

So you can use SMART both to notice (pre)failing disks -and- to
physically identify them.

The same smartctl command also returns the health status like so:

233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always
      -       0

This specific SSD has 99% media lifetime left, so it's in the green. But
it will continue to gradually degrade, and at some time It'll hit a
percentage where I like to replace it. To keep an eye on the speed of
decay, I'm graphing those SMART values in Cacti. That way I can somewhat
predict how long a disk will last, especially SSD's which die very
gradually.

Erik.