It's mostly about bandwidth.  With VLANs, the public and cluster networks
are going to be sharing the inter-switch links.

For a cluster that size, I don't see much advantage to the VLANs.  You'll
save a few ports by having the inter-switch links shared, at the expense of
contention on those links.

If you're trying to save ports, I'd go with a single network.  Adding a
cluster network later is relatively straight forward.  Just monitor the
bandwidth on the inter-switch links, and plan to expand when you saturate
those links.

That said, I am using VLANs, but my cluster is much smaller.  I only have 5
nodes and a single switch.  I'm planning to transition to a dedicated
cluster switch when I need the extra ports.  I don't anticipate the
transition being difficult.  I'll continue to use the same VLAN on the
dedicated switch, just to make the migration less complicated.