I think smaller clusters get chocked up with the default backfill. I've
seen latency on a four node cluster with 10 OSD each improve by setting
osd_max_backfills to 2. I would try lowering it and see if it helps.

Also, if you are running both cluster and VM traffic on the same network,
you could get congestion especially on a 1 Gb network.

Robert LeBlanc