Hi Craig,
right! I had also post one mail in that thread.

My question was, if the whole step to "chooseleaf_vary_r 1" take the
same amount of time like the setting tunables to firefly.

The funny thing: I just decompile the crushmap to start with
chooseleaf_vary_r 4 and see, that after upgrade tonight the
chooseleaf_vary_r  allready on 1!

# begin crush map
tunable choose_local_tries 0
tunable choose_local_fallback_tries 0
tunable choose_total_tries 50
tunable chooseleaf_descend_once 1
tunable chooseleaf_vary_r 1

ceph osd crush show-tunables -f json-pretty

{ "choose_local_tries": 0,
  "choose_local_fallback_tries": 0,
  "choose_total_tries": 50,
  "chooseleaf_descend_once": 1,