I get the impression that more people on the ML are using a config
management system.  ceph-deploy questions seem to come from new users
following the quick start guide.

I know both Puppet and Chef are fairly well represented here.  I've seen a
few posts about Salt and Ansible, but not much.  Calamari is built on top
of Salt, so I suppose that means Salt is well represented.  I really
haven't seen anything from the CFEngine or Bcfg2 camps.

I'm personally using Chef with a private fork of the Ceph cookbook.  The
Ceph cookbook doesn't use ceph-deploy, but it does use ceph-disk.  Whenever
I have problems with the ceph-disk command, I first go look at the cookbook
to see how it's doing things.