After some more work i realized that didn't get me closer at all. It was still
only selecting 13 osds *and* still occasionally re-selecting the same one. I
think the multiple emit/takes isn't working like I expect. Given:
 step take default
 step chooseleaf indep 0 type host
 step emit
 step take default
 step chooseleaf indep 0 type host
 step emit
In a rule, I would expect it to try to select ~1 osd per host once, and then
start over again. Instead, what I'm seeing is it selects ~1 osd per host and
then when it starts again, it re-selects those same osds, resulting in multiple
placements on 2 or 3 osds per pg.

It turns out what I'm trying to do is described here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users%40lists.ceph.com/msg01076.html
But I can't find any other references to anything like this.

Thanks, Aaron