Hi,

We've setup ceph and openstack on a fairly peculiar network configuration (or at least I think it is) and I'm looking for information on how to make it work properly.

Basically, we have 3 networks, a management network, a storage network and a cluster network. The management network is over a 1 gbps link, while the storage network is over 2 bonded 10 gbps links. The cluster network can be ignored for now, as it works well.

Now, the main problem is that ceph osd nodes are plugged on the management, storage and cluster networks, but the monitors are only plugged on the management network. When I do tests, I see that all the traffic ends up going through the management network, slowing down ceph's performances. Because of the current network setup, I can't hook up the monitoring nodes on the storage network, as we're missing ports on the switch.

Would it be possible to maintain access to the management nodes while forcing the ceph cluster to use the storage network for data transfer? As a reference, here's my ceph.conf.

[global]
osd_pool_default_pgp_num = 800
osd_pg_bits = 12
auth_service_required = cephx
osd_pool_default_size = 3
filestore_xattr_use_omap = true
auth_client_required = cephx
osd_pool_default_pg_num = 800
auth_cluster_required = cephx
mon_host = 10.251.0.51
public_network = 10.251.0.0/24, 10.21.0.0/24
mon_initial_members = cephmon1
cluster_network = 192.168.31.0/24
fsid = 60e1b557-e081-4dab-aa76-e68ba38a159e
osd_pgp_bits = 12

As you can see I've setup 2 public networks, 10.251.0.0 being the management network and 10.21.0.0 being the storage network. Would it be possible to maintain cluster functionality and remove 10.251.0.0/24 from the public_network list? For example, if I were to remove it from the public network list and referenced each monitor node IP in the config file, would I be able to maintain connectivity?

--
Jean-Philippe Méthot