Hello,

As others said, it depends on your use case and expected write load.
If you search the ML archives, you will find that there can be SEVERE
write amplification with Ceph, something to very much keep in mind.

You should run tests yourself before deploying things and committing to a
hardware that won't cut the mustard.

I did this comparison for a project (involving DRBD, not Ceph) 3 months
ago:
---
  Model             Size   Endurance     Cost
Samsung 845DC EVO  960GB    600TBW     700USD TBW/$=1.16
Intel DC S3700     800GB   7300TBW    1500USD TBW/$=0.20
---

In that particular case the Samsung made the grade, as the expected writes
per year and SSD are less than 60TB.

Make those calculation for the specific SSDs you have in mind.
Cheap initial costs may come back to bite you in the behind later.

With Ceph, I'd be _very_ uncomfortable putting data on consumer SSDs.
Aside from the ease of mind that the Intel DC S3700 (or maybe the Samsung
845DC Pro, not tested myself yet) give you, there's the overall better
performance (and consistently so, no going to sleep for garbage
collection).
On top of the SMART monitoring you'll probably also be forced use fstrim
on these SSDs to keep their performance (such as it is) from degrading.

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/