From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Martin
Palma
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:37 AM
To: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: [ceph-users] SSD disk distribution

Hello,

We are planing to deploy our first Ceph cluster with 14 storage nodes and 3
monitor nodes. The storage node have 12 SATA disks and 4 SSDs. 2 of the SSDs we
plan to use as
journal disks and 2 for cache tiering.

Now the question raised in our team if it would be better to put all SSDs lets
say in 2 storage nodes and consider them as fast nodes or to distribute the
SSDs for the cache tiering over all 14 nodes (2 per node).

In mine opinion, if I understood the concept of Ceph right (I'm still in the
learning process ;-) distributing the SSDs across all storage nodes would be
better since this also would distribute the network traffic (client access)
across all 14 nodes and not only limit it to 2 nodes. Right?

Any suggestion on that?

Best,
Martin

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this message in error and that any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by
telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies
of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically
stored copies).