On 05/20/15 23:34, Trevor Robinson - Key4ce wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Could somebody please advise me if Ceph is suitable for our use?
>

> We are looking for a file system which is able to work over different
> locations which are connected by VPN. If one locations was to go
> offline then the filesystem will stay online at both sites and then
> once connection is regained the latest file version will take priority.

CephFS won't work well (or at all when the connections are lost). The
only part of Ceph which would work is RGW replication but you don't get
a filesystem with it and I'm under the impression that a multi-master
replication might be tricky (to be confirmer).

Coda's goals seems to match your needs. I'm not sure if it's still
actively developped (there is a client distributed with the Linux kernel
though).
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

Last time I tried it (several years ago) it worked well enough for me.

> The main use will be for website files so the changes are most likely
> to be any uploaded files and cache files as a lot of the data will be
> stored in a SQL database which is already replicated.

If your setup is not too complex, you might simply handle this with
rsync or unison.

Best regards,

Lionel