Hi Greg,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Gregory Farnum <g...@gregs42.com> wrote:
>> 4. "mds cache size = 5000000" is going to use a lot of memory! We have
>> an MDS with just 8GB of RAM and it goes OOM after delegating  around 1
>> million caps. (this is with mds cache size = 100000, btw)
>
> Hmm. We do have some data for each client with a cap, but I think it's
> pretty small in comparison to the size of each inode in memory. The
> number of caps shouldn't impact memory usage very much, although the
> number of inodes in cache definitely will.

Do I understand this right that having client caps exceeding the limit
is merely an annoyance and shouldn't explode mds memory usage? (I say
annoyance because I find it difficult to run an MDS without the
HEALTH_WARN that clients aren't responding to cache pressure). IOW, do
you expect that the size of the mds inode LRU will stay under the
mds_cache_size even if a client doesn't respond release caps ??
check_memory_usage prints  num_inodes_with_caps and inode_map.size()
Is there a way to see the current LRU size on a running MDS?

Cheers, Dan