On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Jörg Henne <henn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gregory Farnum <greg@...> writes:
>>
>> Yeah, I think there were some directory listing bugs in that version
>> that Samba is probably running into. They're fixed in a newer kernel
>> release (I'm not sure which one exactly, sorry).
>
> Ok, thanks, good to know!
>
>> > and then detaches itself but the mountpoint stays empty no matter what.
>> > /var/log/ceph/ceph-client.admin.log isn't enlighting as well. I've never
>> > used a FUSE before, though, so I might be overlooking something.
>>
>> Uh, that's odd. What do you mean it's empty no matter what? Is the
>> ceph-fuse process actually still running?
>
> Yes, e.g.
>
>  8525 pts/0    Sl     0:00 ceph-fuse -m 10.208.66.1:6789 /mnt/regtest2
>
> But
>
> root@gru:/mnt# ls /mnt/regtest2 | wc -l
> 0
>
> With the kernel module I mount just a subpath of the cephfs space like in
>
> /etc/fstab:
> my_monhost:/regression-test /mnt/regtest ...
>
> which ceph-fuse doesn't seem to support, but then I would expect
> regression-test to simply be a sub-directory of /mnt/regtest2.

You can mount subtrees with the -r option to ceph-fuse.

Once you've started it up you should find a file like
"client.admin.[0-9]*.asok" in (I think?) /var/run/ceph. You can run
"ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/{client_asok} status" and provide
the output to see if it's doing anything useful. Or set "debug client
= 20" in the config and then upload the client log file either
publicly or with ceph-post-file and I'll take a quick look to see
what's going on.
-Greg

>> (You should also be able to talk to Ceph directly via the Samba
>> daemon; the bindings are in upstream Samba although you probably need
>> to install one of the Ceph packages to make it work. That's the way we
>> test in our "nightlies".)
>
> Indeed, it seems like something is missing:
>
> [2015/07/27 19:21:40.080572,  0] ../lib/util/modules.c:48(load_module)
>   Error loading module '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/ceph.so':
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/ceph.so: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory

Mmm, that looks like a Samba config issue which unfortunately I don't
know much about. Perhaps you need to install these modules
individually? It looks like our nightly tests are just getting the
Ceph VFS installed by default. :/
-Greg