Yes, there should a separate partition per OSD. You are probably looking at
10-20GB journal partition per OSD. If you are creating your cluster using
ceph-deploy it can create journal partitions for you.

"The expected throughput number should include the expected disk throughput
(i.e., sustained data transfer rate), and network throughput. For example,
a 7200 RPM disk will likely have approximately 100 MB/s. Taking the min() of
the disk and network throughput should provide a reasonable expected
throughput. Some users just start off with a 10GB journal size". For
example:

osd journal size = 10000