Agreed.

> 2) Cache below the OSD.  Not much recent data on this.  Not likely as fast as
> client side cache, but likely cheaper (fewer OSD nodes than client nodes?).
> Lack of barriers in some implementations scary.

This also has the benefit of caching the leveldb on the OSD, so get a big
performance gain from there too for small sequential writes. I looked at using
Flashcache for this too but decided it was adding to much complexity and risk.

I thought I read somewhere that RocksDB allows you to move its WAL to SSD, is
there anything in the pipeline for something like moving the filestore to use
RocksDB?

> 3) Ceph Cache Tiering. Network overhead and write amplification on
> promotion makes this primarily useful when workloads fit mostly into the
> cache tier.  Overall safe design but care must be taken to not over-promote.
>
> 4) separate SSD pool.  Manual and not particularly flexible, but perhaps best
> for applications that need consistently high performance.

I think it depends on the definition of performance. Currently even very fast
CPU's and SSD's in their own pool will still struggle to get less than 1ms of
write latency. If your performance requirements are for large queue depths then
you will probably be alright. If you require something that mirrors the
performance of traditional write back cache, then even pure SSD Pools can start
to struggle.

To give a real world example of what I see when doing various tests,  here is a
rough guide to IOP's when removing a snapshot on a ESX server

Traditional Array 10K disks = 300-600 IOPs
Ceph 7.2K + SSD Journal = 100-200 IOPs (LevelDB syncing on OSD seems to be the
main limitation)
Ceph Pure SSD Pool = 500 IOPs (Intel s3700 SSD's)
Ceph Cache Tiering = 10-500 IOPs (As we know, misses can be very painful)
Ceph + RBD Caching with Flashcache = 200-1000 IOPs (Readahead can give high
bursts if snapshot blocks are sequential)

And when copying VM's to datastore (ESXi does this in sequential 64k
IO's.....yes silly I know)

Traditional Array 10K disks = ~100MB/s (Limited by 1GB interface, on other
arrays I guess this scales)
Ceph 7.2K + SSD Journal = ~20MB/s (Again LevelDB sync seems to limit here for
sequential writes)
Ceph Pure SSD Pool = ~50MB/s (Ceph CPU bottleneck is occurring)
Ceph Cache Tiering = ~50MB/s when writing to new block, <10MB/s when
promote+overwrite
Ceph + RBD Caching with Flashcache = As fast as the SSD will go

Nick Fisk
Technical Support Engineer

System Professional Ltd
tel: 01825 830000
mob: 07711377522
fax: 01825 830001
mail: nick.f...@sys-pro.co.uk
web: www.sys-pro.co.uk<http://www.sys-pro.co.uk>

IT SUPPORT SERVICES | VIRTUALISATION | STORAGE | BACKUP AND DR | IT CONSULTING

Registered Office:
Wilderness Barns, Wilderness Lane, Hadlow Down, East Sussex, TN22 4HU
Registered in England and Wales.
Company Number: 04754200

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above
named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must
take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the
knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We
advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
Any views expressed in this e-mail message are those of the individual and not
necessarily those of the company or any of its subsidiaries.