Although you may get some benefit from tweaking parameters, I suspect you are
nearer the performance ceiling for the current implementation of the tiering
code. Could you post all the variables you set for the tiering including
target_max_bytes and the dirty/full ratios.

Since you are doing maildirs, which will have lots of small files, you might
also want to try making the object size of the RBD smaller. This will mean less
data is needed to be shifted on each promotion/flush.