I tend to not do too much each time: either upgrade or data migrate. The
actual upgrade process is seamless... So you can just as easily upgrade the
"current" cluster to hammer, and add/remove nodes on the fly. All of this
is quite seamless and straightforward (other than the data migration
itself).