----- Original Message -----

Note that the idea here was not to go into production with this but merely as a
test, that's why I suggested standing up a new vm to do it.

So let's try some things in the build directory then.

After the build the rados binary should end up in ./src/.libs/rados if deb
systems are the same as Fedora in that regard. If not you will need to find the
rados binary that gets built when you run "make". Once you have that run the
following on it.

$ strings ./src/.libs/rados|grep "^ceph version" -A5 ceph version
$ eu-unstrip -n -e  ./src/.libs/rados
$ nm --dynamic ./src/.libs/rados|grep Mutex
$ ./src/.libs/rados -v

The last command may not work unless you have the correct libraries in place on
the target system but please include all output.

Then you can do your normal packaging and install and run the same commands
substituting "$(which rados)" for ./src/.libs/rados.

It is very important you include all output and, if any of the tools are
missing, you may need to install the equivalent of the elfutils package (for
eu-unsrip, although I guess in pinch you could just use "strip" from the
binutils package. I just prefer the elfutils versions).