On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM, HEWLETT, Paul (Paul)
<paul.hewl...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We have recently encountered a problem on Hammer (0.94.2) whereby we
> cannot write objects > 2GB in size to the rados backend.
> (NB not RadosGW, CephFS or RBD)
>
> I found the following issue
> https://wiki.ceph.com/Planning/Blueprints/Firefly/Object_striping_in_librad
> os which seems to address this but no progress reported.
>
> What are the implications of writing such large objects to RADOS? What
> impact is expected on the XFS backend particularly regarding the size and
> location of the journal?

Huge RADOS objects are a bad idea.  Think about the distribution of
objects across PGs (i.e. sets of OSDs) and how different OSDs will be
utilized - there is a bunch of reasons why OSDs reject objects larger
than 90M by default.

AFAIK libradosstriper was merged quite a while ago, before hammer
I think, so it should be usable - people at CERN are building other
things on top of it.

Thanks,

                Ilya