Hello,

There are of course a number of threads in the ML archives about things
like this.

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:48:35 +0200 Mike Miller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I am planning to set up a ceph cluster with 6 OSD nodes with 10
> harddisks in each node, could you please give me some advice about
> hardware selection? CPU? RAM?
> I am planning a 10 GBit/s public and a separate 10 GBit/s private
> network.

If I read this correctly your OSDs are entirely HDD based (no journal
SSDs).

In that case you'll be lucky to see writes faster than 750MB/s, meaning
your split network is wasted.
IMHO a split cluster/public network only makes sense if you can actually
saturate either link if not both.

In your case a redundant (LACP) setup would be much more beneficial,
unless your use case is vastly skewed to reads from hot (in page cache)
objects.

As for CPU, pure HDD OSDs will do well with about 1GHz per OSD, the more
small write I/Os you have the more power you need.
For OSDs with journal SSDs my rule of thumb is at least 2GHz, for purely
SSD based OSDs whatever you can afford.

2GB RAM per OSD are generally sufficient, however more is definitely
better in my book.

This is especially true when you have hot (read) objects that may get
evicted from local (in VM) page caches, but still fit comfortably in the
distributed page caches of your OSD nodes.

Regards,

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/