Hello,

Had an interesting issue today.

My OSD hosts are booting off a USB key which, you guessed it has a root
partition on there.   All OSDs are mounted.   My USB key failed on one of my
OSD hosts, leaving the data on OSDs inaccessible to the rest of my cluster.   I
have multiple monitors running other OSD hosts where data can be recovered to.
 However I’m wondering if there’s a way to “restore” / “rebuild” the ceph
install that was on this host without having all OSDs resync again.

Lesson learned = don’t use USB boot/root drives.   However, now just looking at
what needs to be done once the OS and Ceph packages are reinstalled.

Thank you.