It works fine. The federated config reference is not related to running
multiple instances on the same zone.

Just set up 2 radosgws give each instance the exact same configuration. (I
use different client names in ceph.conf, but i bet it would work even if
the client names were identical)

Official documentation on this very common use case would be a good idea, i
also figured this out on my own.