On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I've found that using knfsd does not preserve cephfs directory and file
> > layouts, but using nfs-ganesha does. I'm currently using nfs-ganesha
> 2.4dev5
> > and seems stable so far.
>
> Can you expand on that? In what manner is it not preserving directory
> and file layouts?
> -Greg
>
> My mistake - I wrongly assumed that the directories did not preserve
layout - it was only subdirectories created under a directory that had a
ceph.dir.layout xattr did not have ceph.dir.layout xattr. Files created
under a subdir that does not have ceph.dir.layout still inherits the file
layout. The same applies to kernel mounted as well as via knfsd, so it does
preserve directory and file layouts. On a separate note, there's no way of
knowing what the default ceph.dir.layout is for a subdirectory unless you
traverse up the tree.