Hello,

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:23:11 -0000 Nick Fisk wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
> > > I'm sure both approaches have their own merits, and might be better
> > > for some specific tasks, but with all other things being equal, I
> > > would expect that using SSDs as the "Writeback" cache tier should, on
> > > average, provide better performance than suing the same SSDs for
> > Journals.
> > > Specifically in the area of read throughput/latency.
> > >
> > Cache tiers (currently) work only well if all your hot data fits into
> them.
> > In which case you'd even better off with with a dedicated SSD pool for
> that
> > data.
> >
> > Because (currently) Ceph has to promote a full object (4MB by default)
> > to the cache for each operation, be it read or or write.
> > That means the first time you want to read a 2KB file in your RBD
> > backed
> VM,
> > Ceph has to copy 4MB from the HDD pool to the SSD cache tier.
> > This has of course a significant impact on read performance, in my
> > crappy
> test
> > cluster reading cold data is half as fast as using the actual
> > non-cached
> HDD
> > pool.
> >

> Just a FYI, there will most likely be several fixes/improvements going
> into Jewel which will address most of these problems with caching.
> Objects will now only be promoted if they are hit several
> times(configurable) and, if it makes it in time, a promotion throttle to
> stop too many promotions hindering cluster performance.

Ah, both of these would be very nice indeed, especially since the first
one is something that's supposedly already present (but broken).

The 2nd one, if done right, will be probably a game changer.
Robert LeBlanc and me will be most pleased.

> However in the context of this thread, Christian is correct, SSD journals
> first and then caching if needed.

Yeah, thus my overuse of "currently". ^o^

Christian