On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 23:38:24 -0700 Blade Doyle wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Christian Balzer <ch...@gol.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:16:13 -0700 Blade Doyle wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Ceph Community,
> > >
> > > I am trying to use "ceph -w" output to monitor my ceph cluster.  The
> > > basic setup is:
> > >
> > > A python script runs ceph -w and processes each line of output.  It
> > > finds the data it wants and reports it to InfluxDB.  I view the data
> > > using Grafana, and Ceph Dashboard.
> > >

> > A much richer and more precise source of information would be the
> > various performance counters and using collectd to feed them into
> > graphite and friends.
> > http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-May/039953.html
> >
> > I'm using the DWM one, YMMV.
> >

> Thanks much for your reply, Christian.
>
> Ugh.  Ok, then it looks like the key info here is to get the data from
> the osd/mon sockets.  Forgive me for not digging too deep yet, but it
> looks like I would do something like:
>
> ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.4.asok perf dump

Correct.

> * which of that data is read/write bytes?
More than one choice, the obvious ones are "counter-osd_op_out_bytes" and
"counter-osd_op_in_bytes".

This is why collectd with graphite is so much fun, you just click and
drool until the data (graph) makes sense.

> * Is that data for the entire cluster, or just that osd?  (would I need
> to read data from each individual osd sock in the cluster?)

Indeed the later, the mons don't keep track of this.

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/