Forwarded conversation
Subject: Wasting the Storage capacity when using Ceph based On high-end
storage systems
------------------------

From: *Jack Makenz* <jack.mak...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, May 29, 2016 at 6:52 PM
To: ceph-commun...@lists.ceph.com

Hello All,
There are some serious problem about ceph that may waste storage capacity
when using high-end storage system(Hitachi, IBM, EMC, HP ,...) as back-end
for OSD hosts.

Imagine in the real cloud we need  *n Petabytes* of storage capacity that
commodity hardware's hard disks or OSD server's hard disks can't provide
this amount of storage capacity. thus we have to use storage systems as
back-end for OSD hosts(to implement OSD daemons ).

But because almost all of these storage systems ( Regardless of their
brand) use Raid technology and also ceph replicate at least two copy of
each Object, lot's amount of storage capacity waste.

So is there any solution to solve this problem/misunderstand ?

Regards
Jack Makenz