From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Jack
Makenz
Sent: Monday, 30 May 2016 3:56 PM
To: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: [ceph-users] Fwd: [Ceph-community] Wasting the Storage capacity when
using Ceph based On high-end storage systems

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Wasting the Storage capacity when using Ceph based On high-end storage
systems
------------------------

From: Jack Makenz <jack.mak...@gmail.com<mailto:jack.mak...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sun, May 29, 2016 at 6:52 PM
To: ceph-commun...@lists.ceph.com<mailto:ceph-commun...@lists.ceph.com>

Hello All,
There are some serious problem about ceph that may waste storage capacity when
using high-end storage system(Hitachi, IBM, EMC, HP ,...) as back-end for OSD
hosts.

Imagine in the real cloud we need  n Petabytes of storage capacity that
commodity hardware's hard disks or OSD server's hard disks can't provide this
amount of storage capacity. thus we have to use storage systems as back-end for
OSD hosts(to implement OSD daemons ).

But because almost all of these storage systems ( Regardless of their brand)
use Raid technology and also ceph replicate at least two copy of each Object,
lot's amount of storage capacity waste.

So is there any solution to solve this problem/misunderstand ?

Regards
Jack Makenz