Hello,

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 15:43:11 +0100 David wrote:

> I'm hoping to implement cephfs in production at some point this year so
> I'd be interested to hear your progress on this.
>
> Have you considered SSD for your metadata pool? You wouldn't need loads
> of capacity although even with reliable SSD I'd probably still do x3
> replication for metadata. I've been looking at the intel s3610's for
> this.

That's an interesting and potentially quite beneficial thought, but it
depends on a number of things (more below).

I'm using S3610s (800GB) for a cache pool with 2x replication and am quite
happy with that, but then again I have a very predictable usage pattern
and am monitoring those SSDs religiously and I'm sure they will outlive
things by a huge margin.

We didn't go for 3x replication due to (in order):
a) cost
b) rack space
c) increased performance with 2x

Now for how useful/helpful a fast meta-data pool would be, I reckon it
depends on a number of things:

a) Is the cluster write or read heavy?
b) Do reads, flocks, anything that is not directly considered a read
   cause writes to the meta-data pool?
c) Anything else that might cause write storms to the meta-data pool, like
   bit in the current NFS over CephFS thread with sync?

A quick glance at my test cluster seems to indicate that CephFS meta data
per filesystem object is about 2KB, somebody with actual clues please
confirm this.

Brady has large amounts of NVMe space left over in his current design,
assuming 10GB journals about 2.8TB of raw space.
So if running the (verified) numbers indicates that the meta data can fit
in this space, I'd put it there.

Otherwise larger SSDs (indeed S3610s) for OS and meta-data pool storage may
be the way forward.

Regards,

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications