On 06/06/2016 03:26 PM, David Turner wrote:
> Best practices in general say to do them separate. If something
> doesn't work... Is it the new kernel, some package that are
> different on 16.04, Jewel, etc. The less things in that list the
> easier it is to track down the issue and fix it.
>
> As far as order, hammer 0.94.5 wasn't built with 16.04 in mind.
> Jewel lists both as compatibilities. I would say upgrade to jewel,
> make sure things are stable, and then upgrade to 16.04. It might
> even be wise to add a third upgrade step of running the kernel
> you'll be using on 16.04 before you upgrade to 16.04 to separate
> the 2 out.

Ok first the upgrade to jewel, then the os. Got it. Would you
recommend first upgrading to 0.94.7 or can we directly go to jewel,
according to the realease notes a direct upgrade should be possible.

> The biggest question though is why you're upgrading Ubuntu. New
> software does not mean better. The 3.16 kernel was the last kernel
> before an xfs file system regression was added to the kernel and
> hadn't been fixed yet in 4.2. So Ceph storage nodes running osds on
> xfs would be better on the much older kernel.

16.04 is using the 4.4 kernel do you know if it is fixed in there? The
reason for updating to 16.04 is that we dont want to use the odd
system out(upstart vs systemd), we've been burned by ceph before
suddenly not publishing packages for a system although it was still
supported on paper so we rather use something more "mainstream".

Regards
Sebastian