For automatically collecting stats like this you might also look into
collectd.  It has many plugins for different system statistics
including one for collecting stats from Ceph daemon admin sockets.
There are several ways to collect and view the data from collectd.  We
are pointing clients at Influxdb and then viewing with Grafana.  There
are many small tutorials on this combination of tools if you google
and the docs for the tools cover how to configure each end.

In particular this plugin will get disk utilization counters:
https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Disk

This combination is how we are monitoring OSD journal utilization
among other things.

thanks,
Ben