On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 06:21:41 +0000 Mustafa AKIN wrote:

> Hi, I’m fairly new to Ceph. We are building a shared system on top of Ceph. I
> know that OpenStack uses a few pools and handles the ownership itself. But
> would it be undesirable to create a pool for a user in Ceph? It would lead to
> having too many Placement Groups, is there any bad affect of it?

As discussed/mentioned here many times before, PGs are not free.
They consume RAM and most of all CPU, especially when tiering (when OSDs
get added or removed/fail).

So ideally you want to limit yourself to what the formulas and PGcalc
recommend for your cluster size.

And that's obviously not a number that will scale up with the amount of
users.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/