On 03/01/17 15:36, Heller, Chris wrote:
> I see. My journal is specified in ceph.conf. I'm not removing it from
> the OSD so sounds like flushing isn't needed in my case.

Okay but it seems it's not right if it's saying it's a non-block
journal. (meaning a file, not a block device).

Double check your ceph.conf... make sure the path works, and somehow
make sure the [osd.x] actually matches that osd (no idea how to test
that, esp. if the osd doesn't start ... maybe just increase logging).

Or just make a symlink for now, just to see if it solves the problem,
which would imply the ceph.conf is wrong.

> -Chris
>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Peter Maloney
>> <peter.malo...@brockmann-consult.de
>> <mailto:peter.malo...@brockmann-consult.de>> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/01/17 14:41, Heller, Chris wrote:
>>> That is a good question, and I'm not sure how to answer. The journal
>>> is on its own volume, and is not a symlink. Also how does one flush
>>> the journal? That seems like an important step when bringing down a
>>> cluster safely.
>>>
>> You only need to flush the journal if you are removing it from the
>> osd, replacing it with a different journal.
>>
>> So since your journal is on its own, then you need either a symlink
>> in the osd directory named "journal" which points to the device
>> (ideally not /dev/sdx but /dev/disk/by-.../), or you put it in the
>> ceph.conf.
>>
>> And since it said you have a non-block journal now, it probably means
>> there is a file... you should remove that (rename it to journal.junk
>> until you're sure it's not an important file, and delete it later).

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2
21502 Geesthacht