Is it related to this the recovery behaviour of vim creating a swap file,
which I think nano does not do?

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/recover.html

A sync into cephfs I think needs the write to get confirmed all the way
down from the osds performing the write before it returns the confirmation
to the client calling the sync, though I stand to be corrected on that.