On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 7:44 AM Stanislav Kopp <stask...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're testing ceph cluster as storage backend for our virtualization
> (proxmox), we're using RBD for raw VM images. If I'm trying to restore
> some snapshot with  "rbd snap rollback", the whole cluster becomes
> really slow, the "apply_latency" goes to 4000-6000ms from normally
> 0-10ms, I see load on OSDs with many read/writes and many blocked
> processes in "vmstat", after restore is  finished everything is fine
> again.
> My question is, is it possibly to set some "priority" for snapshot
> restore, like "nice"  so it doesn't stresses OSDs so much?

RBD snap rollback is a very expensive operation; it involves going to all
the objects in the RBD volume and doing a full copy from the snapshot into
the active "head" location.

I'm not sure if there are built-in tunable commands available (check the
manpages? Or Jason, do you know?), but if not you can use any generic
tooling which limits how much network traffic the RBD command can run.
-Greg